QUALITY: 100% ringspun cotton crew neck t-shirt.
FIT: This gender-neutral t-shirt comes in regular fit which fits true to size. Women may want to order a size down. Joana is wearing size XS. She is 5'6".
GEORGE ORWELL T-SHIRT
Novelist. Teacher. Soldier. Socialist. Eric Blair (aka George Orwell) was a man of many talents, but also a model of perseverance. Born and raised in British India and London’s roughshod East End, scribblings in Blair’s tiny notebook became such books as Down and Out in Paris and London, 1984, and Animal Farm. Drawing from his own life struggles, his works challenged such global issues as war, poverty, and rising totalitarianism, and his literature has fascinated readers for generations. Our graphic shirt features ash, gray, or khaki green with artistic caricature of George Orwell, the man whose vision of dystopia became our reality.
George Orwell 101
Here are some interesting facts about Eric Blair (George Orwell):
1. Eric Blair's penname George Orwell combines England's St. George and the River Orwell.
2. In 1922, he a policeman in Imperial Burma and could speak Burmese fluently. In the 1930s, he was a war correspondent for the BBC.
3. Animal Farm was inspired by Napoleon Bonaparte’s retreat from Moscow and the USSR's Great Purge period.
4. Whilst in Barcelona, he fought alongside Spanish anarchists and embraced Trotskyism.
5. Although Orwell studied Catholicism as a child, he often ridiculed religion.
6. His own life as a tramp in London's East End and Paris' 5th Arrondissment inspired "Down and Out in Paris and London".
7. His essay, “Politics and the English Language” outlined rules to his simplistic writing style, whilst “1984” featured Newspeak, a dystopian language designed to eradicate free thinking.
8. Animal Farm and 1984 were originally rejected for being too critical of the USSR--Britain's ally.
9. He died from tuberculosis whilst revising 1984 in Barnhill, Jura (Scotland).
10. The word Orwellian refers to a totalitarian police state that controls all aspect of society.